Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Music Is You

Music makes pictures and often tells stories
All of it magic and all of it true.
And all of the pictures and all of the stories
All of the magic, the music is you.
--John Denver

To My Daughters...

Thomas is a Welsh name, and the Welsh have a saying... "To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with music in your heart and poetry in your soul."

My Baby Girl told me she was having a discussion with her boyfriend about whether magic existed or not. He claims that it doesn't; everything has a scientific explanation. Others will tell you it's God's hand. I raised my girls to believe in magic. Not the "wave a wand" type of magic you see in Harry Potter movies, but the joy and wonder of the unexplainable. Of the power and beauty and enormity of nature. Of the intensity of will power and love that can move mountains and overcome all obstacles. Of the healing power and inspiration of music. It is the last one he should understand. He is a musician.

These pages are full of the music that has shaped my life and continues to inspire me. Through that music, I am sharing the stories that are my history, and through that, your history. And in reading them, I hope you will also find some tidbits of magic. I love you more than I can ever, ever express. More than you will ever, ever know. These are my love letters to you.

All of the magic, the music, is you.

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment