Sunday, February 12, 2012

Danny's Song

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with ya honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the mornin' when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
- Loggins and Messina


JOY and HAPPINESS

We jokingly refer to it as "The Julie Principle" at my house because of my receptionist, Julie. She grew up with a mother who was extremely negative and, because of that, tells her sons if they can't speak to the joy and happiness of a situation, it's better to say nothing at all. So this year, I told my family our one and only New Year's resolution should be to follow the Julie Principle. She got a kick out of that. But there's truth to the statement that attitude is everything. Even when things get extremely difficult or go horribly wrong, I try to look at what I got from or learned from the situation. Laura going to Ireland for several months and I will miss her terribly? It gave me reason to go to Europe where I not only visited her but also visited my sister and her family. All this work on finding a new school? I am finding I had skills and stamina I never knew I was capable of. The positives.

And I do my best to find joy. Or let it find me.

The things in my home that bring me joy are intentional...my kitten and the time I create so I can play with her....the Christmas lights on my deck railing that I choose to leave up long past the holiday because they are second only to rainbows and stained glass....the birds in their many forms: the carvings, framed art, kitchen accessories, feeders....my angel collection, especially the ones I bought in honor of special relatives....family photos and artifacts: my past and present and future.

But I also just let joy find me. It can be a song that comes on the radio, a gorgeous view while I'm driving, or the unexpected words of a loved one. These are not things that just happen to be. They are not things I take for granted. They are deep and make each day a treasure. They are everywhere if you open yourself to them. They are sparkles for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment