Friday, March 11, 2011

Centerfield

Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be Centerfield.
--John Fogerty

There was a TV show I remember when I was a kid called "Name that Tune". I don't remember much of it except at the end of it, two contestants would try to undercut each other and try to see who could name the final tune in the fewest number of notes. I was always amazed that they could often do it in only 4 or 5 notes.

Except that now I can do the same thing too. Certainly if it's a Country song, and often if it's a song I grew up listening to in high school. Sometimes in less than 4 or 5 notes. This morning I was driving to work and flipping through stations and the song Centerfield came on. It was in the musical interlude where Fogerty wasn't even singing, and in a single note, I knew what song it was. It is a rather unique melody, I have to admit, but it made me smile, nonetheless, to know immediately what song it was. And actually, I can do that quite a bit. After only a note or two, I usually know what song I'm listening to. And this one is such a fun happy one.

Well, I spent some time in the Mudville Nine,
watchin' it from the bench;

You know I took some lumps when the Mighty Casey struck out.
So Say Hey Willie, tell Ty Cobb and Joe DiMaggio;
Don't say "it ain't so", you know the time is now.

I am always sad for my Mama, that she never knew music the way I do. "I'm ready to play..."

No comments:

Post a Comment