Monday, March 21, 2011

The Eagle and the Hawk

I am the eagle, I live in high country
In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky
- John Denver

I spent last Saturday driving down a highway that follows the Mississippi River. It's an absolutely beautiful stretch of road and I love driving it. It's all the more wonderful to drive when you spot eagles. This time of year, they're especially easy to see because the foliage hasn't come out on the trees yet. I saw four eagles on my drive, perched in the bare branches of the trees, proud and majestic, looking over the open river. Cars were stopped along the side of the highway with people just watching, some with cameras. Sometimes, I'm lucky enough to see eagles closer to home. I saw one the week before just driving to the grocery store. It was just gliding on the current without any effort. Beautiful.

I am the hawk and there's blood in my feathers
But time is still turning they soon will be dry.

You're far more likely to see hawks, particularly Redtail Hawks. They perch on light poles, on road signs, and tree branches. Always up high. They have that beautiful light rust color. Occasionally, you see them flying along side the road, wings spread, swooping down on some prey, or settling on a perch, feathers ruffled. I love watching for them. They're so alert and watchful.

And all those who see me and all who believe in me
Share in the freedom I feel when I fly.

I have been fascinated with birds ever since I can remember. I have always wanted to be able to fly like a bird. I used to dream of running down a flight of stairs, so quickly that by the time I got to the bottom I just leaped off the last few steps taking flight and could just soar like a bird. In those dreams I never had wings, but I was flying as if I was a bird. I was high above everything and soaring and free.

It never occurred to me to actually learn how to fly until I was married and my husband, who had his pilot's license, encouraged me to take ground school. I did, and then started flight lessons. We belonged to a flight club and had use of a Cessna 150. I logged my hours and eventually soloed. And then I became pregnant...and flying wasn't as attractive any more. The flying club membership got sold and mortgage payments took over -- and 25 years of raising kids. Outside of the occasional commercial flight for vacations, I didn't fly. And then last summer, during a break at an outdoor country music festival, my Baby Girl and I decided to take a helicopter tour of the area. It was absolutely exhilarating! Far more fun than being in the Cessna...but then I was a passenger instead of a student pilot trying to remember everything for dear life. I would go up in a helicopter again in a heartbeat. It's the closest thing to free flying that I know of.

Come dance with the west wind and touch on the mountain tops
Sail o'er the canyons and up to the stars
And reach for the heavens and hope for the future
And all that we can be and not what we are.

I will never tire of watching the birds. They are amazing creatures. Beautiful in flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment