Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It's A Great Day to Be Alive

Well I might go get me a new tattoo
- Travis Tritt

I have seven tattoos now. And I'm waiting on the eighth. My first tattoo was a humming bird, that I had tattooed mid-calf in 2004 after I got my Masters degree. A few years ago, I had my girls' names tattooed around my left ankle. Above Laura's name is the Sugarland logo of a heart with wings that symbolizes their song "Baby Girl". Theresa drew me a frog that I had tattooed above her name today. And while I was at it, I had him do a yellow rose to symbolize my mom. The hummingbird is dipping it's beak into the rose. The eighth would be whatever Sarah draws me to go above her name.

I'm fascinated with body art. I have always felt clothes and hair should be fun, something that was probably gained from my upbringing with so many family members in theater. It's why I have always had a flair for the dramatic in the clothes I wear. It's why I don't care what others think of how I look. It's why I didn't care if my daughters wanted to dye their hair purple or any other color. Go ahead and express yourself! Have fun! Try on different personae! Just make sure it's appropriate when it matters, like a job interview, but beyond that, be yourself. Or try on different things if you're trying to figure out who you are.

But when it comes to body art, I've just told them you have to be absolutely sure you can live with it for the rest of your life before you do it. Interestingly enough, I've had my tattoos now for 8 years and none of my girls have gotten any tattoos. They may at some point, but not yet - at least that I know of. Piercings, yes, but those can close back up. No tattoos that I'm aware of. I remember reading about totem animals once and was fascinated with the concept. I think that's akin to what author Philip Pullman did in the "Golden Compass" series. Mine would be a hummingbird which is why I have one tattooed on my leg. It is something I can live with for all of my life because they are so much a part of my soul. As are my daughters. And I want something above each of their names to remind me of them as well. Names and images both have power. I'm happy to have both on my body as a reminder of them.

Yellow roses symbolize one's mother. I've been thinking about the yellow rose for a long time.

It's a great day to be alive
I know the sun's still shining when I close my eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment