Sunday, August 29, 2010

Like a Bird I Sing

Sometimes music is so powerful...

It can be the lyrics that stir strong emotions.
It can be words that heal when nothing else can.
It can be a shared experience with 13,000 other people.

Last night was one of those perfect summer nights...

The sky was clear and the temperature was just right.
The American flag was snapping in the breeze, lit from below.
Tim McGraw, the most played country music artist in history, was singing hit after hit on an outdoor stage.

1-2-3 Like a bird I sing
Cause you've given me the most beautiful set of wings
I'm so glad you're here today
Cause tomorrow I might have to go and fly away

I love this song. For many reasons.

I absolutely love birds. I always have. As a child I used to dream of being a bird. Of being able to spread my wings and start circling. Of being able to look down at the lakes and trees below me and simply drift on the air currents with a slight shift of my wings. We are lucky enough to live on the edge of a large pond and have the pleasure of seeing egrets, cranes, wood ducks, and geese. Once we even had six swans! I have bird feeders to attract cardinals, jays, finches, and hummingbirds. I am in awe of hummingbirds and consider them one of nature's most spectacular jewels. I never tire of watching them dart and flit around. I have a collection of carved wooden birds that fills my kitchen window that includes hummingbirds.

1-2-3 Like a bird I sing
Cause you've given me the most beautiful set of wings

At the end of this song, Tim McGraw drops the instrumental and all you hear is his three little girls singing the refrain. It is touching. It is sweet in its innocence.

Sometimes, people get caught up in a grand event like I was at last night, simply because it's larger than they are. That wasn't it. Sometimes the weather and music just come together for one of those rare and perfect summer nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment