Monday, August 2, 2010

Matthew

I have a blog called Sixteenth Avenue.  It's full of family stories that I call "my love letters to my daughters."  Each entry in the blog starts with song lyrics.  This one is about a young man who lost his home to a tornado and was taken in by his aunt and uncle.  I actually wrote it for Michael Boe Jr,  who was taken in by his aunt and uncle, Tom and Robin Boe.  So as you read it, you'll see references to both a Matthew (in the song) and Michael (my cousins). Here goes....

 I have a young cousin named Michael. I saw him when we had a big family gathering at my Aunt Mary's Farm.  Michael's had a rough time.  [and here is where the song lyrics are listed...]

"Well, I guess there were some hard times
and I'm told some years were lean
They had a storm in '47
twister came and stripped 'em clean
He lost the Farm and lost his family
lost the wheat, he lost his home
But he found the family Bible
faith as solid as a stone

Yes, and joy was just a thing that he was raised on
Love was just a way to live and die
Gold was just a windy Kansas wheat field
Blue was just the Kansas summer sky

 I remember when Michael was born. His dad was so proud to have a son. So proud!  Michael gave him his name.  And so  young Michael, who is reserved and shy, is thrown into this group of raucous relatives he barely knows and he's not sure what to do. And Taylor Boe, another cousin, about his age, bless her soul, boldly announced, "I'm going to show Michael how to be part of a family!"

And I've been thinking about that ever since...

What does it mean to be "part of a family"?

And how do you show someone how to do it?

I think it means being able to let go...being able to be silly and laugh at yourself and with others.  Tom did that in a way only he could.   It means being able to do what you want to do to have fun without worrying what others will do or think or say.  The  way the cousins would all push each other in the pool...and laugh about it...and NOT get mad about it...and chase each other...and shriek!  Shrieking is important!  The Boe family loves each other deeply.  That's why we're all here right now.  In person and in spirit.  Supporting each other.

I have an angel collection that was Mimi's and I add to it every time someone in the family passes away.  Today in the store I was looking for Tom's angel and instead, a box of Christmas nutcracker soldiers jumped out at me.  They seemed more appropriate to add to the shelf for Tom and I think he would have found it much more funny too.  You can almost hear his laugh over that one can't you?  That was Tom, always laughing.  Just like all the Boes.  That's their legacy.


Yes, and joy was just a thing that he was raised on
Love was just a way to live and die
Gold was just a windy Kansas wheat field
Blue was just the Kansas summer sky

I am truly blessed to be part of this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment